Alicia is beautiful on the inside and out, it almost makes you want to hate her. She is actually impossible to hate. She is so sweet, talented, and just an overall good woman. I am honestly jealous of her because she has a BA in Theatre Arts already. But she is just so darn likable and lovable. She and I are both artists, actresses, wives, and mothers but she has the added bonus of being some other great things that you will find out below. We are determined to meet in Ashland one day, but it hasn't happened yet. So, for now I will just harass her by interview.
![]() |
| A beautiful woman and a little boy who adores his mama. |
A: This is always the hardest question for me to answer because there are so many factors that make up who I am. I earned my BA in Theatre Arts from San Jose State University in 1999. Twelve hours after graduating, I hopped on a plan to do ranch work in Colorado for a couple years and then returned to California where I worked as a barn manager and educator for the Humane Society of Silicon Valley before returning to SJSU earn my teaching credential. In 2005, I earned my MA in Education Administration/Supervision from CSU Chico and married B, my soul mate. We have two boys – W (3 ½) and C (1 ½) – and they are my world.
![]() |
| The family |
I am an artist, actress, rancher, wife, teacher, and mother. I have a hard time finding time for each part of myself – so for now I am focusing on being the best wife, mother, and teacher possible. As my boys grow up, I would really like to get back into acting and someday start an educational ranch.
A: I don’t know if this will make much sense, but I am passionate about the creative process – be it art, poetry, acting, or teaching. I absolutely love to create and explore. I am not good at following paths that have been set for me…I need to create my own. I get a rush out of making new things – websites, lessons, stories, etc.
![]() |
| I had to throw in one silly picture because she jokingly told me not to. Here she is as Concita in Last Cha Cha for the Bahama Mama |
I also love inspiring others to help make a difference in helping Earth. I believe that every little action makes a difference and that everything and everyone is connected. I filmed a documentary in Yosemite National Park in the 90s and hope to someday bring it all together with current footage and interviews.
N: What was a defining moment in your life?
The following year, I met Brandon and as life has turned out, I know that it was the best decision I have ever made. Do I ever wonder how things would have turned out had I gone to L.A. or stayed in SF? Absolutely! Do I long for the spotlight…the stage…the rush of acting? Definitely! But looking at my boys and hearing them laugh as they ride our horses reminds my why I hopped on that plane so many years ago. And I know someday I will return to my first love!
![]() |
| Here she is with her soul mate. (Her bouquet is full of my favorite kind of roses, she has good taste) |
A: I don't know about amazing, but thank you.
You are not naive - my concept for an educational ranch is not very well known, and I don't know if there is a ranch out there already doing what I hope to someday do. I would like to take the idea of a guest ranch/dude ranch and expand it to include an educational component. Part of the year, it would be open for traditional family vacations and the other part of the year it would be reserved as an outdoor school. Classes could visit for a day up to a week to experience ranch life and all of its connections to science, writing, art, math, history, etc. It would essentially be a hands on educational facility.
N: Would you mind sharing some of your poetry or a short story?
A: Oh, gosh, it is hard for me to open up and share my writing because it is usually so personal...but here goes...
Here is a little poem that I wrote just over two years ago, in memory of a dear friend (and my mentor) who passed away on 11-11-09. It isn't earth shattering, but it was a healing poem for me...words often help me heal:
Some sights cannot fully be captured in a picture…
…the brilliant orange hue of a glowing full moon
…a herd of deer grazing peacefully in a misty meadow
…the calm of a glorious lake after Winter’s first storm
Some emotions cannot fully be captured in words…
…the never ending impact a teacher has on a child
…the pain of watching a friend lose her battle with cancer
…the love one person can feel for another
These moments cannot be captured…
…they must be lived
…they must be honored
…they must be remembered
Through art and writing, Nancy taught me to open my eyes and take in the world for all of its beauty. She taught me to believe - in others and in myself. I am eternally grateful for her presence in my life over the past 20 years. Her memory will be honored and remembered.
A: Oh, gosh, it is hard for me to open up and share my writing because it is usually so personal...but here goes...
Here is a little poem that I wrote just over two years ago, in memory of a dear friend (and my mentor) who passed away on 11-11-09. It isn't earth shattering, but it was a healing poem for me...words often help me heal:
Some sights cannot fully be captured in a picture…
…the brilliant orange hue of a glowing full moon
…a herd of deer grazing peacefully in a misty meadow
…the calm of a glorious lake after Winter’s first storm
Some emotions cannot fully be captured in words…
…the never ending impact a teacher has on a child
…the pain of watching a friend lose her battle with cancer
…the love one person can feel for another
These moments cannot be captured…
…they must be lived
…they must be honored
…they must be remembered
Through art and writing, Nancy taught me to open my eyes and take in the world for all of its beauty. She taught me to believe - in others and in myself. I am eternally grateful for her presence in my life over the past 20 years. Her memory will be honored and remembered.
And another one that I found - it is actually a song that I wrote for another friend, Tom, who passed away in December of 2005.
Dancing With Angels
Your time came too quickly,
I never even said goodbye;
Not that I would have anyway,
I never believed you would die.
I hope you're dancing with angels,
and they hold you close in their arms;
I hope you're dancing with angels,
and I hope they sing you this song.
About hard times and how you got through them,
About freedom and finding your way;
About always being true to yourself,
No matter what people may say.
I hope you're dancing with angels,
And they hold you close in their arms;
I hope you're dancing with angels,
And I hope they sing you this song.
About good times and laughter and romance,
About friendships that never will fade;
How someday we'll all be together again,
And I'll tell you what I meant to say.
Dancing With Angels
Your time came too quickly,
I never even said goodbye;
Not that I would have anyway,
I never believed you would die.
I hope you're dancing with angels,
and they hold you close in their arms;
I hope you're dancing with angels,
and I hope they sing you this song.
About hard times and how you got through them,
About freedom and finding your way;
About always being true to yourself,
No matter what people may say.
I hope you're dancing with angels,
And they hold you close in their arms;
I hope you're dancing with angels,
And I hope they sing you this song.
About good times and laughter and romance,
About friendships that never will fade;
How someday we'll all be together again,
And I'll tell you what I meant to say.
And they hold you close in their arms;
I hope you're dancing with angels,
And I hope they sing you this song...
...Oh, someday I'll sing you this song.
I really do write about things other than death...but I am an emotional writer and for some reason these were the two that I could easily find/remember quickly. I do have a book of several songs that I have written over the years. Someday I will find the courage to share them with others. I am actually learning to play guitar right now so that I can put music to my lyrics...it will be quite some time though before that happens. I am not a natural. lol.
A: Absolutely, positively everything. I never would have expected that having kids would be such a powerful experience, but it is - and I enjoy each moment. I love hearing the laughs and giggles and watching my boys explore and try new things. I love the hugs and the silly stories and the constant questions. I love watching my boys ride their horse and make messes with paints. I just love watching them grow. Life is such a miracle and my crazy, adorable boys are the best.
![]() |
| Alicia with her boys and one of their horses. |
In an odd sort of way - I even enjoy the tough moments like sleepless nights. When times are rough, I remind myself that they will only be young once and that the fact that they are alive and breathing in the middle of a long night is a miracle to be thankful for. (W's lungs collapsed at birth so I think I value every breath more than some, and a dear friend's 2 year old just survived cancer/5 months of chemo. I truly value each day with my boys for the gift that it is.) I just love being a mom and knowing that I get to share my life with my husband, watching (and helping) two boys grow up. I like to say that my job in life has become to raise two future Mr. (W)Rights.
Thank you...from the bottom of my heart... for sharing your personal stories through your blog, for interviewing friends, and for inspiring me.
Thank you...from the bottom of my heart... for sharing your personal stories through your blog, for interviewing friends, and for inspiring me.
![]() |
| Family is the best. |
N: Alicia, I am honored to be YOUR friend. Thank you for sharing your poetry. It was beautiful as are you. Thank you for encouraging me to follow my dreams and not making me feel silly for pursuing them. I am grateful that you are in my life and I look forward to being your friend for the rest of our lives. I think your idea of an educational ranch is inspiring and I am in awe of your talents as a mother. I look forward to seeing you succeed in your endeavors. Thank you for reminding me that our choices are what defines us, so we must always choose the good and that choosing our families is always the best choice. What can I say except, I adore you.







No comments:
Post a Comment