Welcome!

This is the no nonsense blog about my life. I am currently living in a mobile home park in Ashland, OR with my hubs and four kids. Check out the About me tab for more details. I am fairly new to this blog stuff, so be nice. Some days I post some I don't. My life is busy so I do my best. I love comments and would love for you to follow along.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Mommy Monday- Hard Pill To Swallow

I've mentioned before about J1's IBD issues.  We got labs done early last week for him.  We saw his regular pediatrician on Thursday.  He has been having more pain lately along with headaches and some knee stiffness. So, of course his inflammatory markers were elevated. What we didn't expect was that they were doubled from the last time and they were already elevated then.  The pills he takes are bright blue and are huge. He takes two in the morning and evening and one at lunch time.  He has other medicine too but I'm not going to get into that. Who knows if they will end up changing them due to this recent flair up. I worry about him far more than he worries about himself, but I'm the mom and that's what I do.

The dreaded pills.

When we first got his pills he had never been successful in swallowing a pill before.  These capsules that he takes can't be crushed or chewed because they are time release and are not effective unless swallowed whole. I thought I'd share how we got him to be able to swallow pills, and a huge ones at that.
You want me to swallow that?
Okay, I guess I'll try.

So, I went to the store and bought micro mini marshmallows (the little dehydrated ones for hot chocolate packets), Tic Tacs,  Good and Plenty,  and Mike and Ikes. The Mike and Ikes are the closest in size to the pills he takes.

We started with the micro marshmallows, they dissolve fast and are really tiny. 

He tried swallowing those a couple of times with the help of some water. I had him put one as far back in this throat as he could and then take a sip of water.

Once he was successful with those, we moved to tic tacs, then Good and Plenty, then finally the Mike and Ikes.  It took several tries with each, but he finally did it. Now, he takes his pills with no issues.

I got this!


3 comments:

Erin Mead said...

Hey -- is the medication Pentasa? They look JUST like the pills I take...4 times a day!

Noe said...

Yes, they are. I didn't know you took those. I'm sorry to hear it.

ekm172@aol.com said...

Thanks. I will say that the pills work really well for me, as long as I take them completely on schedule. It alleviates about 85% of the pain and problems, but for some, the medication doesn't work. Sorry your little guy has to go through it...hopefully they will help him. If you EVER have any questions about it, email me (I have become quite the subject matter expert over the last few years since diagnosis).