Welcome!

This is the no nonsense blog about my life. I am currently living in a mobile home park in Ashland, OR with my hubs and four kids. Check out the About me tab for more details. I am fairly new to this blog stuff, so be nice. Some days I post some I don't. My life is busy so I do my best. I love comments and would love for you to follow along.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Theatre Thursday- The Curious Savage

The Curious Savage by John Patrick was the last show that I performed at the Hale Center Theatre before I took a long hiatus from the theatre scene.  It was directed by Mark S.P. Turvin, who also happened to be a theatre critic in AZ at the time.  When I first read the script, I was immediately drawn to the character of Fairy May and I was lucky enough to have landed the role. J1 also got to be in the show as John Thomas. He was just in a short scene at the end and just had to look cute. He was brilliant.

J1 backstage

I got to wear several wigs and had some amazing costumes.  Originally, my hair was going to be messy/ratty and then we were going to try to make it look nice for the end scene, but my hair didn't allow that to be a possibility so we went with the wigs.  Fairy May was a resident at a mental facility.

The wigs and my makeup station

She was fun on the outside but had a lot of pain on the inside.  I found the book, Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher to be insightful regarding Fairy May's psyche. When I played Ophelia, I had used this book for a reference into mental illnesses in young women and also the societal pressures that they face.

Actually, this show is a comedy. I promise. You can read the synopsis here. I again got to play with my dear friends, Jere, and Alaina. The lead in this show was played by Jacqueline Gaston, she was amazing.  The pictures I do have are mostly backstage and a few press shots. I don't have any of me as Fairy May. I had tried to track some down before I wrote this post but had no luck.
Jere

The set

Alaina


No comments: