Let me introduce you to my fridge. As you can see it is very small and I shove as many things in there as I can. What can I say? This is trailer living at it's finest. Recently, the bottom shelf on the door decided it had had enough and bailed on me. So, now I have even less space than normal in there. Those shelves are expensive at $25 bucks a pop. Ouch.
We were really blessed this year as far as tomatoes are concerned. My BIL gave us a bunch of tomato plants toward the beginning of the summer and they just took off. We have big tomatoes, medium tomatoes and small grape tomatoes. I'm told tomatoes don't normally do well in this area but we must have them in a prime spot.
I have too many for our family to eat on our own, but not enough to can. Luckily, this last Saturday our church had Super Saturday. It is a day where women can pick a craft or two or more and just spend the day working on it and enjoying the company of other women. They also have a lunch and I signed up to bring a salad and a dessert.
I made a regular salad with the grape tomatoes but felt like I needed to do something else. So, I looked in my teeny fridge and saw what I had on hand. I had mozzarella and tomatoes. I then remembered that the Pioneer Woman had posted a recipe called Caprese Salad. I headed over to the grocery store and picked up some basil. I had all the other ingredients on hand.
The planets aligned for the briefest of moments and soon I had this:
OMGoodness, this was amazing. I even heard much raving about my Caprese Salad at the luncheon.
Unfortunately the planets went out of alignment for my dessert and it wasn't as great as it could have been. My cursed oven wasn't cooking fast enough and the pumpkin cake I made was taking forever. So, I made some vanilla pudding and put whip cream on top of it. The whip cream melted on the way to the luncheon and looked horrendous. The cake did get done in time and although it wasn't pretty, it was tasty. Here is the link to what I made but with regular icing, so easy, as long as you don't have an RV oven.
I was happy to use up all the tomatoes, but I just went out yesterday to the garden and got all of these...
I think another Caprese Salad is on the menu, or maybe tomato soup. Decisions, decisions. All I know is there is no room in my fridge.
Welcome!
This is the no nonsense blog about my life. I am currently living in a mobile home park in Ashland, OR with my hubs and four kids. Check out the About me tab for more details. I am fairly new to this blog stuff, so be nice. Some days I post some I don't. My life is busy so I do my best. I love comments and would love for you to follow along.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Bahhhhhh Caprese Salaaaaaaaaaaad. I had it for the first time in Coos Bay a couple months ago and ate it, like, every day, for a week. ::craving::
Caprese rocks!
What about canning?
Jamie-With how much propane I have to use to get my pressure cooker going, it isn't even economical to can what tomatoes I do have. Otherwise, I would just can them.
I think Caprese is my new favorite salad.
Oh my, I NEED that salad!!
Post a Comment