Since I am working on eventually getting a BFA in Theatre Arts. I thought I would use this day to chronicle what I am doing to improve and what is inspiring me. As I start though, I would like you to reminisce with me on how I got to this point.
I got into the theatre during junior high. I wasn't successful in elementary school at an instrument and since I wanted a fun elective theatre seemed like it would be fill that category. I loved it. Unfortunately, I was very shy and very quiet. My teacher told me I was good but that it was too hard to hear me. So the next summer I spent the whole summer in my back yard practicing "projecting." My parents worked during the week so they never knew what I was up to and since it was scorching hot in AZ during the summer my brothers left me alone. My mother did discover I really did love the theatre and took me to see my first professional show, Fiddler on the Roof which was put on my the Arizona Jewish Theatre Company. I loved it!
The next school year I was still not cast in any of the big shows but I still helped back stage. My ninth grade year I got some smaller roles but nothing huge. The biggest thing that happened to me that year was an introduction to Shakespeare. It wasn't in my Theatre class but rather my English class that I discovered a knack for understanding the Bards works.
We even got to take a trip to see The Southwest Shakespeare Company's Romeo and Juliet. They kept it in the era it was written for and it was captivating despite some teenage rascals throwing Skittles at Juliet during her drinking of the sleeping potion monologue. Juliet didn't miss a beat. I was entranced and vowed to work for the company eventually.
In high school, I continued with my endeavors. As fate would have it the drama teacher at my HS was also the co-founder for the Southwest Shakespeare Company. As such, the company provided opportunities for HS students to act as "Wenches and Knaves" aka ushers for their shows. I jumped at the chance and got to see many wonderful shows as a result. I developed a keen love for Shakespeare during this time.
I kept getting cast in smaller roles along with backstage work in HS. I worked hard in order to try to improve my skills. My senior year, the drama department put on The Tempest and The Matchmaker (the show Hello, Dolly came from). In The Tempest, I played Trinculo, a clown and originally a part for a boy.
It was so much fun! One of my good friends at the time, designed and made all the costumes. My costumes had bells sewn all over it. So, backstage I had to wear a black robe and shuffle along so as not to create any noise as I walked.
The director of the Southwest Shakespeare Conservatory (an actor training program) was in the audience for one of the shows and told me I was just darling in the role. But alas, this post is getting way too wordy. What came after is long enough for it's own story. So I will continue on next week.
Exeunt Omnes




No comments:
Post a Comment